Monday, September 6, 2010

Another Birthday...

Meridith's birthday was September 3... and yet it's just another reminder that she is not here. I told Haylee it was Aunt Mer Mer's birthday and she was very excited. She told me all her ideas about what to do. Take balloons to the grave and we could decorate it. She gave me the biggest hug.

That night after dinner we went to WalMart to get flowers... that's where Haylee wanted to go. She picked out a yellow bunch of flowers that were actually very pretty. I am not sure why yellow. She usually does pink or blue and sometimes purple. This time it was yellow. We left and started to drive out there and she quickly remembered water... but I had a bottle with me.


We got there and she got out our flowers, flower food, and water. She put them in there and we sang happy birthday. I hadn't ever done that before and I have to say this time it made me cry. I try really hard not to cry when we go out there because I know it will confuse Haylee and she will not know how to act. She just smiled and kept singing and then just hugged me. She held onto me for a long time and told me that she loves me alot. I was very touched by her emotion she showed to me. I told her that I was sad because I really miss my sister, Aunt Mer Mer. I told her about her and how much Meridith would of LOVED being with Haylee.

I talk about Meridith all the time to Haylee. She asks me all the time about the story in Mexico. Its as if she wants to know exactly what happened. But if I leave out a part when we talk about it she very quickly corrects me.

I am so lucky that I had my sister for as long as I did and would give ANYTHING to have her now too. I am very glad that I have haylee, who keeps me on my toes and is there for me when I need the extra love that only my darling daughter can give to me.

Happy Birthday Baby Sister... I wished for you everyday 24 years ago and my wish came true... today my wish is that I will NOT forget anything about you.

2 comments:

marcia@joyismygoal said...

That was sweet, i love you Rachel and love that you are creating such loving memories w/ your own daughter

The Texas Bakers said...

I am so sorry about Meredith. These anniversaries are so difficult. I can't imagine how I would feel if I lost one of my sisters. It's so wonderful that you have Haylee to comfort you and she has you to help her know her aunt.