Monday, December 6, 2010

when they die young...

Last week a friend of mine died in a car accident. He had been out with his friends and should not of been behind the wheel of  car... His friends tried to keep his keys and not let him leave... he was stubborn. His girlfriend got a text at 230am and he was pronounced dead at 250am. He was texting, driving, and under the influence. Another one of his guy friends was following him to see to it that he made it safe and watched the whole thing happen right before his eyes. He hit a wall of some sort on the highway and rolled his truck. His friends had to ID him to the paramedics. I went to his funeral on Friday and I have to say that this funeral for whatever reason was sad to me. He was 30 years young.

Ever since that day in May 5 years ago death is different to me. I am sad for the family and friends, but the tears just don't flow. It's just different. On Friday I did not cry while I was there. Tears came, but I fought them back. It was at the same funeral home that we used with Meridith. When I got into the car I called Adam and that's when the tears came. I didn't have to be strong anymore and I was sad. 

I watched as his friends, very close friends he had since he was in elementary school stand up and talk about him. His mother who did the whole funeral herself. I listened to the letter his sister wrote. The impact this had I HOPE is a positive one. I HOPE that they see the stupidity of what happened and that this could of been avoided. I hope that there is change. Change for the better... Until then I was sad on Friday and it has been on my mind since.

No comments: