Haylee had her open house at school this week. It was also the book fair! She was very excited to go to the book fair and buy lots of books... she was also very excited to show me all that she does in school. I am so thankful that I made the decision to put her in pre-k this year. She has been blessed with an amazing teacher. She is young, energetic, passionate, and very loving to her kids. She does expect them to behave too!
I was glad I went because I had the chance to talk with her teacher about Haylee and her accomplishments in school. stop reading now if you want to skip the mommy brag time... She is doing so well. The other day we were reading and she could sound out most all of the words. I knew that this was coming because she knows her letters. Her teacher told me that one day they were talking about some letter and words and Haylee then decided to start talking about vowels and the role they play in words. I guess in pre-k they really don't get much into this... but her teacher said she went with it and Haylee taught part of the lesson. Her teacher helped her too. So that afternoon Haylee's class learned about vowels... Her teacher said the vowels... and Haylee added... And sometimes Y!
She also has accelerated in writing. She can write sentences with spaces, which I guess is a really hard concept for kids to grasp. The other day she brought a paper up to her teacher and said look... this spells cousin. COZIN. Which if you make the sounds... she is right! She can spell phonetically.
She pulled out her binder she has to keep on all her students and went to Haylee's section and showed me page after page of how well she is doing. She said she is basically on a mid to end of kindergarten level... and she's not even in kindergarten yet! I hope doesn't get bored in school.
If I give her a pen and paper and ask her to spell words... she does! It's awesome!
Enough of my bragging... my kid is smart! I am so proud of her. Being a parent and watching your baby become a big kid who can do all that is very rewarding. And hearing her school teacher just go on and on about how well she was doing almost brought a tear to my eye.
No comments:
Post a Comment